Feeling all lovey-dovey inside today. Riding high on a great half marathon on Sunday; choked up in anticipation of my first full marathon next fall.
Inspired by #runchat’s Valentine’s giveaway, I present to you the Ten Things I Love About Running.
- I love the sense of accomplishment I feel after finishing 6 or 8 miles on a Wednesday morning before anyone else is even out of bed. I ran a 10k before you even brushed your teeth today!
- I love the simplicity of stepping out my front door and hitting the pavement. There’s nothing else as easy. While we drive to our long-run spot, I quite enjoy the ability to start and finish my workout on my front steps.
- I love the intimacy I feel with the streets, corners, shadows, cracks, fences and alleys of my neighborhood. I might be out too early to meet my neighbors, but I know every inch of pavement between my house and yours; where the best-smelling jasmine bushes are and which sprinklers are broken in your front yard.
- I love new shoes, and running lets me spend a cool hundred every few months on new shoes. Win!
- I love healthy obsessions. I can obsess over my clothing, my gear, the next race, my schedule, my nutrition. I love the mulit-faceted way I can let myself be absorbed in running – and that it’s good for me!
- I love pushing myself to goals. I never thought I’d finish a 5k when I started the Couch-to-5k program six years ago; still can’t wrap my head around finishing two half marathons in the past six months. Seriously you guys.
- I love the muscles and definition in my legs. For that alone I will continue running often, hard, fast. I feel strong and lean.
- I love dessert. And mayonnaise. And just about anything with cream cheese. Bread. Cupcakes. Did I say dessert?
- I love exploring new places when I’m traveling. Whether is the river walk and High Line Park in New York City or the sidewalk along Miami Beach, running around new places is one of the best ways to get familiar with a city.
- I love that my husband runs too, and that every so often we can run together. I’m supremely excited for him to run the Savannah marathon with me and Ginger in November.
I could go on and on, I’m sure. There’s so much I love about running – I just need to read this when I’m feeling less than motivated (ahem, hello December!).
What do you love about running?